Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join Now!
Community Search
National Conference
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/18/2011 at 2:37:49 AM GMT
National Conference

I am so excited about our conference in DC. Oh my gosh there are so many things to do and see. When I was looking online I noticed that to tour the White House you must get a special ticket. For this you have to contact your congressman and put in an application. When I emailed my congressman they had me fill out a form and informed me a background check will be done. I asked if the background check when I renewed my real estate license would help and was informed, no this will be done  by the secret service.  Just wanted to let you know if you want to do this according to my congressman's office it takes a minimum of four weeks (accent on minimum) then you may or may not get this.

Yes I am trying to be adult about this. I know we have great education and meetings. I also know there is a moonlight monuments tour, a trolly tour, free concerts, national zoo, congressional library, museums, amazing monuments, ok too many things to put in this post, the history of our country right there.

6/20/2011 at 8:05:41 PM GMT
Carol, I am also interested in seeing everything I can. Let me know what you are interested in and maybe we can plan some things together. I am especially interested in your moonlight monument tour you mentioned!  Nena

6/21/2011 at 1:39:32 AM GMT

This is the link I found to the Moonlight Monuments tour.  We have nothing scheduled for Wednesday or Friday night at our conference so I thought one of those nights would be good.

http://www.trolleytours.com/washington-dc/night-tours.asp

These people also have other tours during the day, the kind where you can get on and off whenever you want.

Actually our hotel appears to be within walking distance to some things. (2 or 3 miles) but I do not know how hard it is to get around on foot.   The metro station is very near the hotel and my friend who went there last year said you can go everywhere in DC easily on the metro and you can get a day pass that is really inexpensive. He told me not to attempt driving in DC.

6/28/2011 at 3:45:02 PM GMT

If we could only win the lotto and stay in DC for a month--that is what it might take to see just a few of the exciting sites in DC. 

I too am anxious--after having left the area 20 years ago--it will be like going home. 

Monica L. Trotter, IFA

7/14/2011 at 12:21:43 AM GMT

For those members who still have K-12 kids a visit to Washington D.C. will allow them to have memories for a lifetime. I was there 2 years ago with my family and the experience was outstanding.

Bring your spouse & kids to the convention. Plan out your schedule so one spouse can attend some classes for CE and then take advantage of the historical sites to see as a family.

If you drive a car DC really, really  enforces their parking rules. My suggestion would be to use a parking lot when available.  If one wants to visit the houses of Congress I suggest one contacts their local representative ASAP for a visit. Local transportation is good and cheap. Security to everything is like any neighborhood airport.

8/5/2011 at 1:28:47 AM GMT

Does anyone know how easy it is to get around on foot in Arlington?  Yes I am one of the evil smokers and was looking at a hotel that has smoking rooms and according to mapquest is only 1/2 mile from the conference hotel.

8/9/2011 at 12:54:30 AM GMT
Never mind. I like to walk but as was looking at the "girl shoes" that I would be wearing for the banquet I decided the inconvenience of smoking in some alley did not outweight the pain of walking in those shoes.

8/9/2011 at 2:31:43 AM GMT

Carol,

DC has an exceptional bus and train system. Don't expect  anyone to approve of smoking. IMHO, the area is too large to expect walking as an option.

8/10/2011 at 6:54:59 PM GMT

Tim

There actually are several hotels in the area which have smoking rooms. The one I was considering was only 1/2 mile away. A friend pointed out to me that only 1/2 mile in that area might mean walking part of the way across a major highway, I looked, he was correct. In New Mexico we tend to think a mile is just right there, based on the advise I have received that is not true in Arlington. Of course we typically do not think about public transportation since our public transportation system leaves much to be desired.

8/10/2011 at 10:46:52 PM GMT

Carol,

When I was there I stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott on 21st Street and P Street. The local bus and subway system was excellent for getting around.

Growing up in NYC I took a subway to HS every day. Then I went to the Big Sky Country of Montana and saw open spaces. The transportation system in DC was cleaner and had better upkeep than NYC. I also felt safer using their system during daylight hours and early evening hours.  My sons' in their mid 20's who came along thought the system was good for getting to/from the night life locations they visited.    

Last edited Wednesday, August 10, 2011
NAIFA Member Sign-In

Forgot your password?

Haven't joined yet?

Calendar

4/22/2014 » 4/24/2014
42nd Annual Appraisal Conference

4/23/2014 » 4/24/2014
NAIFA Course Writers Workshop (invitation only)

4/25/2014 » 4/26/2014
NAIFA 2014 Instructors Conference

4/28/2014
Defensible Appraisal Practices

4/29/2014
2014-2015 National USPAP Update

National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers - 330 North Wabash Avenue, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60611

Phone: 312-321-6830 Fax: 312-673-6652 Email: info@naifa.com