Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join Now!
Community Search
Post National Conference
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

8/31/2011 at 8:15:16 PM GMT
Post National Conference

I would like to thank those who were involved in making this years national conference realtiy.  Despite earthquakes and hurricanes, it was something that will never be forgotten.

I want to apologize for the rest of the comment that was here.  I thought that I had hit Cancel after typing it realizing it was a bit harsh and inappropriate, however it was posted here. 

Thanks to Tim Cullen for letting me know it was on here. 

However, I do not apologize for wanting others from the membership to show up for our national conference.  Hope to see you there next year.

Last edited Thursday, September 1, 2011
9/2/2011 at 4:19:33 AM GMT

Mark

I did not respond yesterday. I felt you expressed what I stated in another forum where I was sad that so many of our members from past years were not there and were missed.  It was a tough year, not only has the economy been bad but we knew the hurricane was coming. Actually my children were upset because I went and were trying to talk me out of it. Ok two of them were trying to talk me out of going because of the hurricane, the other one said do not tell that crazy old lady not to go because of the hurricane, that will just encourage her, tell her how hot and humid it will be. Neither worked, I was there. I get no respect.

We had a good conference. As usual we had good informative education. Sadly we had people who actually made the trip and had to leave early to take care of things at home.

Hopefully next year there will be no earthquake or hurricane and we can get a better turnout.

9/2/2011 at 3:46:12 PM GMT
Mark - any hardworking, caring, professional such as yourself - who has put a grand amount of time, talent and treasure into his organization wants to see a good turn out. That's nothing to apologize for....

9/2/2011 at 7:46:06 PM GMT
Mark,

I think the low  turnout was because the word got out that I was going to give a speech after I was sworn in.  Can't blame people for wanting to avoid that.   For those of you who were not there, the gist of my remarks was that I learned that my responsibility as the 2012 President of NAIFA is to try and give back as much as NAIFA has given me, which is quite a lot!

Chuck

9/6/2011 at 5:24:44 PM GMT

Chuck, you hit the nail on the head.  It was sitting thru your comments that scared me away!  Sorry but the truth hurts!. 

Seriously, I thought of going and just did not see the benefit for my money.  I enjoy the comraderie immesely and the educational oppurtunities but did not anticipate there would be much change from the last few years meetings, hopefully I was wrong and missed out on a lot.  I would suggest that Smith Bucklin be ask if lower attendance is a typical trend or is this indicative of appraising and perhaps NAIFA.  I wonder if having regional meetings might be something to consider.  Have a few classes and at least one national director at each gathering.  Cost could be minimal, hold them in June and see where it takes you.  I personally would like to see something in Florida in February.  I am one of the blessed that usually spends a week or two in Florida and having the oppurtunity to meet other NAIFA members would be of interest to me.  So all you Florida folks looking for people to attend an educational offering, could this be an oppurtunity.  I would think the same could be done in Arizona. 

We also need to ask ourselves is it the conferance or the cost associtated with it. Do people really want the offerings that are scheduled.  Maybe it is not a lack of interest about appraising but a dollars and sense issue..  In these tough times should a less expensive venue be tried?( It is probably just me somebody who is frugal. but maybe not)

Mark Hardebeck

9/6/2011 at 11:20:23 PM GMT

Mark I know this is not exactly what you were talking about but you have hit on something I was talking with another member about recently. Several years ago we got rid of the regions. Some of the best conferences I attended were the regional ones. They were always timely and focused on local/regional issues. Some states have state conferences but for small states like mine it just would not work. Sometimes I go the the Texas state conference which is in driving distance and has always been good and informative but it is not the same as the old regional conferences. 

We still had the national converence but somehow the interest generated at the regional actually helped stimulate interest in the national organization. Maybe we should look at bringing back the regions and the regional conferences.

Just a thought.

9/6/2011 at 11:28:59 PM GMT

I want to respond, but will be moving the response to the Members only chat room.. Since we will be disussing issues regarding the association.......Carol I am going to copy and past your response above my comments.

Monica L. Trotter, IFA

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal