Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join Now!
Community Search
Cloud Technology
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/12/2011 at 3:57:21 AM GMT
Cloud Technology

Are any appraisers using it?  Is this technology a game changer for the appraisal industry?

What are the USPAP implications?

7/18/2011 at 2:05:52 PM GMT

Ok Tim

I give up. What is cloud technology?

I have seen the advertisements on TV saying something about the cloud but did not pay attention. The only cloud I have heard rumors about is the one that brings rain which we definitely would like to see here :-)

7/19/2011 at 5:27:44 AM GMT

Carol:  Wiki has a good description of cloud computing.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Tim - Interesting question.

Cloud offers greater versatility with respect to access/interface, storage and transmission compared to the present in-house capabilities. But cloud also presents a major security concern. The user's data/information is warehoused (stored) outside of the appraiser's immediate environment and control. Additionally, storage of a greater mass of data in centralized pods would attract greater attention from outside interests willing to extract (hack) that data.

Even the most sophisticated security offered today can be breached, as has been repeatedly demonstrated (Pentagon, Sony, Google, Facebook, etc). Does that then preclude our use of cloud-computing? Not necessarily.

The question becomes, who shall be responsible for securing data? USPAP, as presently written places the security burden on the appraiser.

"It is not at all simple to understand the simple." (Eric. Hoffer)

7/19/2011 at 2:54:27 PM GMT

Ok so this cloud is basically a web based offsite server.  I do not understand why the security of the cloud is that different from any off site storage.   My data is backed up on carbonite, some people use the Total program and back up to their vault.  Is it the application program and the data being accessed and used online rather than being done on and uploaded from my personal computer the reason for the concern? 

Thanks

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal