Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Your Cart   |   Sign In   |   Join Now!
Community Search
Rodeo
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/13/2011 at 12:17:47 AM GMT
Rodeo

When I take some personal time off this year I wanted to see a big time rodeo with my family. Any suggestions from those who reside west of the Mississippi? Let me know the State, City and time of year. I reside in San Diego, CA and was planing on taking a week (7 business days) +/- to do this.

It would be best for me to be able to drive to the rodeo rather than going by plane. My wife is telling me to go to Texas. To me Arizona and Wyoming are the places to look.

Thanks,

5/24/2011 at 12:14:06 AM GMT

The 3 oldest and best attended rodeos in the Southwest USA I came up with to attend during the summer months were:

1. Reno Rodeo - June 16 - 25, 2011 in Nevada. This is a 10 day event and been ongoing for 90 years.

2. Cheyenne Rodeo - July 22-31, 2011 in Wyoming. This event has been going strong for 113 years.

3. Prescott Frontier Days - June 28 - July 4, 2011 in Arizona. This may be the oldest of them all. It has been going on for 123 years.

I'll be attending one of these 3 rodeos. If you go PM me and if we meet-up the 1st 2 drinks will be on me.

An old John Denver "Country Boy" in spirit guy from San Diego.

5/24/2011 at 4:17:49 AM GMT

Tim

Although way down deep inside I always want to do PR for Texas the rodeo I have always heard about as the one to see is the one in Wyoming.

Carol

7/8/2011 at 2:23:01 AM GMT
Paste embed code from You Tube or other video sharing service.

Carol,

I'll start my rodeo experience this year in Lancaster/Palmdale, CA on July 15th.  This is a 2 day event and a PRCA sponsored event. It is called the "Showdown". From there I will go to Wyoming for a larger rodeo.

I won't  forget Arizona as I will visit the state for a football game later in the year. Northern Arizona is playing the University of Montana on 10/22/2011 in Flagstaff. I will be there for that game cheering for the Griz.

Tim - an old City Slicker

7/9/2011 at 12:17:10 AM GMT

Tim

I was reading about your new experiences and it was bringing a smile to my face remembering fun times of my yourth.  I came from a small town and we had a little rodeo in my home town. As teens my friends and I would sneak in to watch the rodeo, usually on the back of some cowboy's horse.  We always got caught, we knew we would. My friends dad worked the gate and her mom worked in the snack bar . As punishment we had to work in the snack bar to "pay for our admission" . They knew they would have the extra help they needed because they knew we would be there. You cannot beat small town America. We had so much fun.

7/9/2011 at 2:05:25 AM GMT

Carol,

I grew up in New York City and went to Montana for college. I attended high school on W 61st and worked during high school at Macy's on 34th St & Herald Square. I got to high school  & back by taking a train ride each morning & evening from Queens, NY. I was taught to drive a car in the area of 42 St & Times Square. I remember watching the New York Knicks BB team practice in our high school gym. How I got to Montana is a story in itself. What I got out of going to a small city and a small college has remained with me during my life. Some of my happiest memories come from the experiences of my college. Likewise, my memories of becoming an appraiser and who influenced me most come from those I met early on in NAIFA.  Now, I like  going to small city type adventures such as a rodeo or a river rafting trip. I even revisited my college after 40+ yrs.  

7/22/2011 at 1:37:21 AM GMT

Carol,

My family had a great time at the "Showdown Rodeo" in Palmdale/Lancaster, CA. We experienced it all - bull riding, tie down roping, bareback riding, steer wrestling, saddle bronc riding, team roping & barrel racing. It was a great experience.

After going to this event my 16 yr old daughter now wants me to buy her a pair of boots and a silver belt buckle. She likes the country look and feel. She even said to me that she likes Tim McGraw music.

Based upon my experience I will be coming to Arizona to see how a the older & larger rodeos are suppose to look.  Then I plan on going to Wyoming and Oregon. 

Tim

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal